Tuesday, March 07, 2006

learning as they go

The Army Corps of Engineers. "They may never have done {this} before."

"This" being a demolition ... someone is being paid to come in and "help" in the "clean-up" by FLATTENING YOUR HOUSE ... the one you've lived in for more than 40 years ... and they may never have done it before?!

I know, I know ... it needs to be done, necessary evil, greater good, yadda yadda yadda.

But holy smokes ... I just ... it makes me hurt. Having walked through and worked in neighborhoods that defy description, I know that many of these homes ... most of them in some areas ... are going to be razed. But to have to watch it ... to be there when it happens ... and to know that yours is first! The test house!

I remember standing with Ms. Simmons in closet after closet of her home ... which you can see was once lovely ... and her tired but strong voice saying I'll never be able to save that ... ah, I never even wore that ... eh, I was ready to get rid of that anyway ... oh, that was my daughter's ... that's from one of the kids I took care of ... To stand there with someone's very memories in my hands, and carry them to the curb, and have her thank me for helping her ...

None of it's easy ... not standing there watching it happen ... not coming in and trying to help ... not driving the truck and learning as you go ... none of it is easy. Not at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home